AFM is keen to support Non-Executive Directors in the sector, and whilst they are welcome to attend all our events, we aim to produce meetings specifically targeted at Board Directors.
New NED roundtable
Vestra is hosting our first roundtable for new NEDs on 29 March at their offices in London. The event is fully subscribed, though if it proves successful we will run others in future.
AFM NED Conference 2017
This year's event will take place in the Spring. More details to follow...
2016 NED conference
Our 2016 event was held on 10 May, at etc. venues, Fenchurch Place, London, kindly sponsored by AFM Associate Mercer. The agenda is below, with slides attached:
- Technology, politics and change in the financial sector, John Rowland, Cicero Consulting
- An overview of the legal horizon for NEDs, John Gilbert, M&G consulting/ Hogan Lovells
- Update on AFM, Andy Chapman, Chair and Martin Shaw, AFM
- Trends in reinsurance for smaller mutuals, Andrew Cox, Guy Carpenter
- Cyber Defence, Andrew McQuade, Kyngswoode Consulting (brochure also attached for more information)
- Investment strategy under Solvency 2, Ravi Rastogi, Mercer
- Update for NEDs on how the executive role is changing, Richard Yerbury, Charles Taylor
- Solvency 2 as business as usual, Steve Dixon, Steve Dixon Associates LLP
A summary of feedback from the event will be added to the website shortly.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 NED conference
Our 2015 event was held on 25 February, at the offices of Fidelity Worldwide Investments. Slides from the event are available to download:
Philip Mackie, Linstock: effective board evaluation
Martin Shaw, AFM: update on corporate governance
Anna Sweeney, PRA: Solvency 2: a view from the regulators
Ron Baxter, PRA (no slides available)
Anna Stupnystka, Fidelity: a macro-economic update
Robert Wharton, Foot Anstey: board remuneration
Theresa Brookers, ILAG and Ron Tyler, WCI: support for NEDs
John Gilbert, Hogan Lovells: Mutuals Deferred Shares Bill
Mazars have also produced a new NED Note, to provide information and support to non-executives
The 2014 NED Conference was held on 1 May, at Fidelity's offices in London. Around 100 delegates enjoyed a wide-ranging and full agenda:
- slide deck from the event
- tips from NEDs on the day
- article by Alan Newman on generation Y
- feedback from the NED conference
We will take account of feedback from the day in planning future events for NEDs.
AFM ran an NED seminar on 24 April 2013. Slides, and a summary of the event are provided here:
- Patrick Connelly, PRA
- Martin Shaw, AFM
- Dean Fathers, EIGA
- Paul Merrey, KPMG
- Adrian Benedict, Fidelity
- Tim Bateman, Towers Watson
- Summary of event, produced by Robert Wharton, Thrings