PAST YEAR CONFERENCES
The AFM Conference and AGM is the biggest showcase for AFM each year.
The 2016 AFM conference and AGM was held at the Holiday Inn, Stratford-upon-Avon, on 10th and 11th October. Around 200 people from across the sector gathered to enjoy an event filled with positive talk about the sector and a thorough view of the operating environment.
The theme of this year's conference was "Together Towards Tomorrow", and the event was divided into six main sessions, and slides are attached to download:
- the political and economic landscape
- regulation and compliance
- the reach of AFM and its members
- the future of mutuals- Ninety consulting
- mutual leadership
- the investment climate
Selected images from the conference are now available, and our October newsletter covered the event in full and include interviews with participants, the minutes of the AGM and news from the sessions.
The 2015 AGM and conference was held on 12 October, at the Lancaster London Hotel. The theme for the event was "The future of mutual insurance"
Slides from the event are available to download:
Plenary 1: Capital and Governance: Chaired by Fiona McBain, Scottish Friendly
Andrew Bulley,PRA “Solvency 2 and beyond”
Peter Hunt, Mutuo “mutual deferred shares”
Scott Eason, Barnett Waddingham“investment performance”
Robert Wharton, Keystone Law“managing performance”
Plenary 2: The Consumer Perspective: Chaired by Stephen Mann, Police Mutual
Bob Martin,FCA “the new FCA Approved Persons Regime”
James Daley, Fairer Finance “improving accountability to consumers”
David Jackman, Into The Clearing “corporate maturity and consumer outcomes”
Major General Sir Sebastian Roberts and Paul Koronka, The Military Mutual “new mutuals for affinity markets”
Plenary 3: Big Picture Mutuality: Chaired by Alan Goddard, Cornish Mutual
Daniel Tischer, Manchester University “collaboration as source of competitive advantage”
Steve Barry, ICMIF “leading in a new world”
Roy Jubraj, Accenture“impact of technology on insurance”
The 2014 AFM Conference and AGM was held on 14 October, at 30 Euston Square, London. The theme for the event is "Leaders in Mutuality".
Slides from the event are available to download below, and other resources are being added over time.
- an audience with the regulators: Bob Martin, FCA and Giles Fairhead, PRA
- mutuals and our political leaders
- mutuals and the UK economy: Andy Goldberg, JP Morgan and Jonathan Michie, Oxford University
- engaging members: Graeme McKenzie, Redtag
- leadership in mutuality: Guy Bellamy, Elephant
Other resources you might be interested in:
- the opening address of AFM Chairman Mark Goodale
- the AFM/ Redtag paper on member engagement
- results from Mazars' products survey
- JP Morgan's app on 'Guide to the Markets': www.jpmorgan.co.uk/insights-app
The video taken of the 2014 Conference can be viewed below.
The 2013 AFM Conference and Annual General Meeting had the theme "MAKING MUTUALITY MEANINGFUL" and was held at Heythrop Park, Oxfordshire, between 15 and 17 October.
Slides summarising voting during plenary sessions now available here.
For full reports on the various events and for interviews with attendees, go to the AFM news desk.
Slides from the main plenary sessions:
- Wider perspectives (Giles Fairhead, PRA and Paul Cook, Grant Thornton)
- Options for the sector (Paul Koronka, Euan Allison and Frank Carr, Stephen Dixon)
- Investment Managers Panel (Vestra Wealth, Investec, Royal London, Rathbones)
- Developments in governance (Martin Shaw, Alan Goddard, Jon DIck)
- Seeing the world through the customer's eyes (Guy Bellamy, Elephant Communications)
Other presentations are available on request. Minutes from the AGM and our latest accounts are available via the AGM tab.
FOR FULL DETAILS OF THE 2013 AFM CONFERENCE, GO TO www.afmagm.co.uk.
Here is a video from the event:
The 2012 AFM Conference and Annual General Meeting was held at The Belfry, West Midlands, between 16 and 18 October.
Slides from the conference are available to view below*:
- Wednesday 17 October
Mark Goodale, Reliance Mutual
Will Davies, measuring Mutuality
John Thirlwell, Risk Management
Douglas Rouse, Save the Children
Paul Merrey, Strategic assement of the sector
- Thursday 18 October, Warwick Suite
- Georgesons/ Redtag/ Computershare, member consent
- Thursday 18 October, Sutton Suite
- Joelle Warren, Diversity Policy
- Hazel Hodge, Creating a gold medal winning board
- Ray Tidbury, Corporate Governance reporting
- Robert Wharton, Board remuneration in AFM members
- Thursday 18 October, Worcestor Suite
- IPSI, strategies for growth and efficiency
- Quilter/ Investec/ Sanlam, investment managers
* Slides presented by Bob Martin on the FCA are posted on the FSA website: to view, follow this link.
The attached paper replaces the slides from SMP Consultants.