Surveys, Research And Insight
In this area we report on the very latest findings from industry surveys, research findings and supply an update on public affairs.
13 November 2014
A manifesto for financial mutuals
Working with the Building Societies Association, AFM has launched a "Manifesto for Financial Mutuals" calling on the political parties to include support for the mutual sector in their forthcoming election manifestos.
05 November 2014
AFM Key Facts
AFM has published a new set of key facts about mutual insurers and friendly societies
15 September 2014
APPG report on mutual capital
In September 2014, the All-Party Political Group for Mutuals published a report based on its inquiry into Mutual Capital. During the inquiry the group heard testimoney from AFM, BSA, PRA and FCA about the nature of capital for mutuals, and the limitations this has on their businesses.
The report can be downloaded here, and recommends that:
1. New capital instruments for mutuals should be created
2. Regulators should have a legal duty to promote corporate diversity
3. There is a real need for policy makers, regulators and legislators to better understand how customer owned mutuals operate
29 August 2014
AFM Corporate Governance Report 2014
AFM operates a self-regulated Corporate Governance Code for Mutual Insurers, and reports each year on standards of compliance within the sector. The latest report has now been produced.
18 March 2014
Mutuals in their Communities
AFM has published a new research paper, looking at the contribution made by mutuals to the communities they work in. You can download the report here.
04 February 2014
Markets for the Many
A new report by think tank Respublica has been launched in Westminster called "Markets for the Many: How civic finance can open up markets and widen access". The report was part-sponsored by the Association of FInancial Mutuals.
Recommendations from the think tank report include that the Government should ease the capital ratio requirements on building societies and encourage them to lend to small businesses; allow financial mutuals to raise extra capital to increase competition within the insurance sector; and introduce a Community Reinvestment Act in the next Parliament to maximise lending to our deprived communities.
29 May 2013
The 'mid-term mutuals manifesto' was issued in June 2013.
Key messages include:
- Since the 2010 General Election – the coalition has implemented many of the proposals from the first Mutuals Manifesto
- This is a positive document, full of ideas for how mutuals can help our country
- Mutuals do not need and are not asking for favours from government. But they do need to do business on a level playing field
- The sector seeks to work with Government in a partnership to maximise the contribution that mutuals can make to our economy and society
30 November 2012
Oxford report on Measuring Mutuality
The AFM Board commissioned Professor Michie of the Kellogg College, Oxford University to produce a report on 'Measuring Mutuality- Indicators for Financial Mutuals' in 2012. An executive summary of the report is available here, and the full report is now available to download.
A new report on "Future proofing the UK mutual insurance sector" was launched at the AFM Conference in November; read it here.