If you, a member of your family, or a client, were a member of a mutual insurer or friendly society that you want to trace, there are a number of actions you can take to discover whether the policy has any value:

  • First, check through our list of members, and if appropriate follow the link to the organisation’s own website for more information on how to claim.
  • If your provider is not listed there, have a look at our register of closed societies. If we have details of the new name of the Society, or the organisation it has transferred to, this will be listed here.
  • If that doesn’t provide an answer, your next port of call is the Mutual Societies Registration, located in the offices of the Financial Conduct Authority, one of the City regulator. They should have record of all societies that have been registered, though note that it was not a requirement to be registered until the 1960s: 25 The North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HS (telephone 020 7066 4916; email: [email protected].

There are a number of organisations who help people find lost policies, sometimes for a fee; try:

  1. Unclaimed Assets Register, http://www.uar.co.uk/
  2. www.hha-uk.com The Heir Hunters Association represents over 200 small research firms who specialise in tracing beneficiaries to lost estates and financial assets on a no win, no fee basis or retained

Sign-up for Mutually Yours Newsletter